The Acadia Institute of Oceanography (AIO) is a marine science camp located in coastal Maine, near the boundary of Acadia National Park. AIO offers a unique, hands-on summer academic program to kids with an interest in marine science. Since 1975, AIO serves over 200 children from across the United States and throughout the world every summer. During 1- or 2-week sessions, kids explore biological, physical and chemical oceanography with field, classroom, offshore, and laboratory work.
During the recession of 2008, AIO endured the same economic downturn as so many other programs and business across the country. Director Sheryl Gilmore saw a sudden drop in registration numbers and began scrambling to increase camp marketing. With little online presence and limited online registration, she endured hours of compiling and mailing paperwork and packets and typing numbers into her database. She had to run credit cards manually, contacting the bank when there were issues. AIO needed more time, more registrations and more revenue.
Sheryl turned to ACTIVE as AIO’s online solution. She started with Thriva, ACTIVE’s original camp management software and, one year later. upgraded to ACTIVE’s new web-based Camp & Class Manager. This transition allowed Sheryl to:
- Save huge amounts of administrative time – During the year, she no longer had to mail out packets, collect and retype information.
- Quickly increase registration – With an accessible, easy-to-use online registration process, customers are able to get information and sign-up quickly and with ease.
- Organize and streamline – With data collection available in one spot, she can create lists and look up student and class information with no messy paperwork to shuffle through.
- Eliminate headaches – Taking the weight off Sheryl’s shoulders relieved stress and created more time and energy to focus on students and programs—and her own life!
Sheryl described the difference after switching to ACTIVE as “too good to be true!” After implementing an online solution, spots filled faster, numbers became more predictable and profits rolled in. AIO saw:
- Up to 137% increase in January registrations
- Registration capacities are now met annually by April, extending the time available to get supporting resources in place
- Full weeks’ worth of time completely freed up that were formerly spent on planning, set-up, and running registration during preparation season
- “Time to enjoy my life!”
Sheryl recommends upgrading to Camp & Class Manager, describing the process as much easier than with Thriva and stating, “I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t prefer Camp & Class Manager.” The overall impact of ACTIVE’s online solutions for AIO has allowed for a more productive and successful experience.
Discover how ACTIVE's Camp & Class Manager online registration software can give you more time to live life.