Get Tutored: Top 2 Digital Ad Types

Discover the real power of Facebook ads

Whether you manage Facebook pages for your personal life or your school, you’ve probably noticed a lot more clutter in your news feeds. Not only is it getting harder to see the posts you’re most interested in, but it’s also a challenge to draw attention to your own posts.

Getting creative with Facebook ads is one of the ways you can help your content stand out. And now is the time, according to entrepreneur and investor Phil Laboon in Forbes.1 “Many advertisers don’t think of investing in Facebook because it’s relatively new as an ad platform. … This means that advertisers who are taking the time to learn how to fully use Facebook have a big advantage over those who are slow to jump in.”

One of the biggest advantages of Facebook advertising is that you can specifically target the people most likely to be interested in your school. Not only that, but you can reach the families you already know are the best fit for your school. This targeted approach increases the impact of your ad.

“Facebook’s advertising has changed the game of digital marketing forever,” Laboon says. “With Facebook, we can narrow our audiences down like never before based on interests, past interactions, location, demographics and much more. After some testing with different audiences, we can build lookalike audiences based on our past successes. It’s essentially turned digital marketing into a science …”

“Facebook advertising isn’t foolproof,” says Laboon. “Like anything worth doing, Facebook advertising takes some time and energy to learn. However, I think it’s worth the effort: Facebook is making its advertising platforms more efficient and user-friendly all the time.”

And…we would add that it can be quite affordable.

Don’t forget the power of word of mouth marketing for your school!

Try retargeting ads

Unless you live under a rock, you’ve probably had this experience: You’re reading a blog post, and the writer references a product, let’s say, the mosquito deterrent Patio Egg. So you follow the link to investigate it. The next day you’re on a website that has nothing to do with mosquito repellant (or patios, for that matter), but a Patio Egg ad pops up.

That’s retargeting, and it’s an effective digital marketing strategy. With this approach, you can retarget anyone who visits your website.

Both Google AdWords and Facebook allow you to remarket your ads to certain website visitors. You add a small piece of code to your website that targets particular visitors. Then your ad pops up later when they’re on the internet. This way, you can keep your message in front of people who’ve already expressed an interest in your school and drive them back to your website.

Only about 2% of website traffic results in conversion on the first visit. (That percentage is probably even less with private school enrollment!) With retargeting, you can continue to engage the other 98% in an unobtrusive way to help your school stay fresh in the minds of interested students and families.

Whether you’re seeking to fill a few last minute spots or gearing up for recruiting season, these ads could be just the thing you need to reach new faces.


1Forbes: How to Make the Most of Facebook Advertising Before the End of 2017