Today’s topic is in honor of camp directors’ steadily escalating busy season, ramping up right now.
Are You Too Busy to Take a Break?
- “I’m too busy to take a break”
- “I don’t have time to go to lunch”
- “This has to get done before I can leave the office/go to bed”
- “I couldn’t get to sleep last night; my mind was just racing”
Without a doubt, every camp director out there is frequently guilty of burning the candle at both ends and running around like the proverbial headless yard bird.
Even though we all know how terrible it is for our bodies and–now, science tells us–our brains, we keep at it, sacrificing sleep (more brain damage), exercise, family time, and fun. We’re even sacrificing quality, efficiency and effectiveness in our work. It’s the American way!
Why We Don’t Take Breaks
We push ourselves relentlessly due to a combination of things:
- Sense of responsibility and dependability
- Commitment to our missions
- Drive to succeed in our camps and schools
- Love of our campers or students
- Fear of failure (as we define it)
- Misplaced priorities (health = last!)
But it all comes at a price. And, it turns out, our reasons aren’t valid.
The New (& Old) Science Behind Time & Energy Management
For the ancients, the science was unavoidable, even if no one understood it. Without electricity, the relentless rhythms of light and dark influenced their melatonin and circadian time clocks, resulting in a balance of work and rest. Some cultures adhered to siestas and sabbaths on top of that! Burning the (literal) midnight oil was too expensive for most–and morning came early.
Nowadays, energy management is the new time management1. The brightest and most successful minds of our time focus on managing their energy through a multitude of brain-boosting strategies, including:
- Eliminating multi-tasking3
- Quick exercise routines4
- Optimization of morning routines5
- Bedtime routines6
- Taking regular breaks8
- Mind hacks (i.e. goal-setting, being strategic, setting aside time to think)9
Which Do You Need Most?
Even in small doses, all of these have the power to not only make you more productive but also to have a profound effect on your happiness, sanity, health and relationships.
But only one actually changes the amount of work you have to do—and that’s technology that does your work for you. Rather than taking more time, the right technology gives you back your time.
If you’re not using camp management software, all the serenity and brain capacity in the world won’t get all your work done.
Download our quick 4-step guide to accelerating your camp launch this season and offer online registration in as little as 14 days.
Recommended Reading (for the free time you’ll have after your camp’s online):